Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:10:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>, <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>, Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
Subject:   printf locking (was Re: FreeBSD 4.5: Second CPU Not Working on Dell PowerEdge 1650)

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, John Baldwin wrote:

> Hmmmm.  Well, we really need proper printf locking (which probably shouldn't
> use blocking locks).

Weren't there some patches (from chuckp?) floating around to do this.
Something along the lines of a trylock which buffers characters
somewhere if it fails. I wanted this (again) recently - I couldn't work
out why syscons kept wedging until I remembered there were no locks on the
console. In the end, I just switched to a serial console.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160