Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 22:10:05 -0800
From:      W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>
To:        Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What Linus said about FreeBSD

Technical Information wrote:

> I don't think that Torvalds' comments necessarily hit the nail on the head,
> but I don't think that he exactly pulled them out of his butt either.
>
> The development model and community of Linux have tremendous and easily
> identifiable advantages in the development process.  And as with anything,
> there are disadvantages too.  All those eyes and hands reviewing and adding
> to the codebase make for some of the most rapid, breakneck development the
> software world has ever seen.  It also creates a high amount of noise at
> times and takes some work to get all the pistons firing at once.  That's
> not necessarily the case with a team like the Core Group, but it may keep
> some would-be developers from feeling like part of the "club."

This is giving too much credence to the assertions that Linus put
forth.  Despite much handwaving. Linux is actually much more closed to
contributions than Linus indicates.  On the other hand FreeBSD has an
open and public submission process.  Of course anonymous contributors
can't just wade in and inject arbitrary code into the system but I have
never had a contribution ignored.  The reasons for rejection are placed
into a publicly accessible repository (the GNATS database) and the
opportunity for capricious refusal is simply much less than with Linux
(and the other parts of a Linux-based system).

Truth is... aside from the core members who actually code these days
users and contributors don't really hear that much from them.  Their
role is more a strategic and guiding one.  More like the board of
directors of a company I might suggest.  Those with commit priviledges
might be likened to middle-management.

> I often wonder whether or not Torvalds himself ever tried to contribute to
> the Project (or any other BSD for that matter).  If not, I can't really
> think that his opinion is based on anything but distant observation and
> hearsay rather than empirical events.  Like you, I've had no problems in
> "fitting in" with the FreeBSD group.  (Then again, maybe I'm a more likable
> guy than Torvalds. ;-) )

My experience too.  I find the people using FreeBSD (committers and
otherwise) to be a very likeable and competent bunch of people.  Even
when there are severe differences people aren't censored away.  There
are times I have deserved that and didn't get it.

> But the growth of Linux, regardless of what percentage luck and what
> percentage of the-time-has-come, has proven to be beneficial to the
> free/open source community at large.  As they say, a high tide causes all
> ships to rise.  I heard of FreeBSD largely because of my investigation into
> Linux, and I think there are others out there on the list who also had
> similar experiences.  The development model was never a factor for me
> personally because I had no desire to write code.  As far as I'm concerned,
> if Greenman and Hubbard et al say that it's good enough for them, then by
> jove it's good enough for me.

I agree that Linux has helped FreeBSD in many ways.  I also believe the
converse :-)

What bothers me most is these nebulous assertions of "fact" by Linus in
a public forum.  The things he says get amplified and distorted until
all of a sudden FreeBSD is marginalized by thousands of foaming Linux
advocates into a position it doesn't deserve.

I sincerely believe Linus should be more careful in his public
commentary.

> Either way, Linus Torvalds is just one man.  He's not the Messiah.  But if
> I really try to imagine all the pressure that goes with being in his
> position, a position in which every statement of opinion is taken as
> policy, I have to say that I don't think he's doing such a bad job.  Like I
> said, we all stand to benefit here, so let's all stay focused on the goals.

I'd almost agree except I know some people who literally *do* think he
is the Messiah.  I have to say I don't think he's doing such a good job.

He can do better.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
jhix@mindspring.com