Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:45:40 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

"David Schwartz" writes:

> 	I apologize for leaving out one clarification -- the lock in must not be
> directly attributable to government intervention. Obviously, the government
> can pass legislation to lock out superior technologies (as it did with
> halogen headlights, for example).
[...]
> 	This is government lock in.
[...]
> 	Government lock in.
[...]
> 	Government lock in.
[...]
> > I've got thousands of examples of this, since I've made rather
> > a study of human stupidity...
>
> 	Which are the ones that are lock in? If the economic theory of lock in is
> correct, there should be many clear examples.

Let me add a candidate for "government lock in":

	Microsoft Windows/Office.

Just try to deliver an electronic document to a US Government customer
in any other format. Typically these days its written into the bidding
rules Thou Shalt Submit Your Proposal In Microsoft Word '97 PC Format.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net