Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:20:47 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to upgrade to 2.2.7 in 10 easy steps (Rev. 1)

OK:

First off, I'm a newbie myself, and the following procedure MAY NOT but
SHOULD work just fine.  If it doesn't, all the standard disclaimers apply
(& even if you tried to sue me, I have $5.00 to last the rest of the month,
so have fun!!) ;-)
Also, any old-bies here want to upgrade this to revision 2, PLEASE do so as
soon as possible!  I hereby release this to the Public Domain:

(0) Boot FreeBSD
(1) type /stand/sysinstall
(2) press ENTER on "upgrade an existing system"
(3) read instructions carefully!!!!!!!!
(4) EXIT sysinstall without trying to upgrade anything
(5) Make personal backups of /etc and anything else that's important to you
onto whatever media you have access to OTHER than the current slices
FreeBSD resides on (floppies work, DOS partitions work, etc).
(6) Download the new "install floppy" image from the 2.2.7 distribution
(7) Create an image with the "fdimage" or "rawrite" utility on a 1.44
floppy disk
(8) Boot from the install floppy and select "upgrade an existing system"
(9) Off ya go.  It *should* work just fine if you have PPP up and running
correctly.  Select "Install from FTP site" as install method.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.