Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:04:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stanley.Hopcroft@aipo.gov.au
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE, freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: pccard - handbook - faq ?

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998 Stanley.Hopcroft@aipo.gov.au wrote:

> I am using a D-Link 650 in a Toshiba CT720 with the PAO patches for
> 2.2.5-RELEASE, and am pleased with the result.
>
> The D-Link card is configured and probed after the kernel unsuccessfully
> probes for an ed device - you need device ed in kernel and the standard PAO
> database (? I'm unsure of the name) supplies the PC Card parameters.

Cool :-)

> The only problem with the D-Link is that the card is delivered with a UTP
> and BNC adapter and this bulky fitting connects to the card by a tiny
> "Honda" connector (like a micro SCSI fitting). I would prefer a fitting
> that takes up the whole edge of the card like the new IBMs - if they work.

The 3Com's have the same connector type.  They're very popular since
they're small and I assume cheap.  They are purposefully built fragile so
if you strain the connection, you break the cable instead of the card
iself.  The cables run about $20, the card several times that.  I think
you'll prefer to replace the cable. :-)  We have an Accton ether/modem
combo (the Xircom's have the same connector BTW) that has the huge
connector, but it's a bear to get on/off and if I strained it it'd
probably break the card into little pieces.

We get broken connectors for the 3c589D's all the time at ResNet; we
finally bought a few spares to give to the students while we send the rest
back for (free) replacements.  Lifetime warranties are cool.  :)