Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:35:20 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
Cc:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kldxref broken, maybe?

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 08:01:20AM +0200, Mark Santcroos wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 06:22:03PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > root[265] make installkernel
> [...]
> > ===> 3dfx
> > install -C -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   3dfx.ko /boot/kernel/
> > kldxref /boot/kernel
> > kldxref:No such file or directory
> > *** Error code 1 (ignored)
>
> kldxref is part of world since 2001/09/10 18:13:15 PDT.
> You probably haven't rebuild your world since then.
> This is a 'soft-error' and will be gone after your next install of world.

Right, but then we need to bootstrap it somehow as it may not exist on the
building system.  Note although, that kldxref(8) produces the architecture
dependant binary output, so that calling the kldxref(8) in the cross-build
case will produce incorrent behavior.

Also, while calling a kldxref(8) for a single module install looks right,
calling it after installation of every single module when installing all
modules (like in the ``installkernel'' case) is expensive -- we can defer
the call after all modules have been installed.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,