Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2012 23:48:53 -0700
From:      Oleg Moskalenko <oleg.moskalenko@citrix.com>
To:        'Doug Barton' <dougb@FreeBSD.org>, Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: [HEADS-UP] BSD sort is the default sort in -CURRENT

Of course it was performance-tested. As this is a totally different program=
 with different=20
algorithms, it has totally different performance profile on different tests=
,
comparing to the old sort. In the default compilation mode (single thread s=
ort)=20
the performance is on the same level as the old sort (sometimes faster, som=
etimes slower).=20
The new sort is often significantly faster in numeric sort tests. In "exper=
imental" multi-threading=20
mode, the new sort is much faster than the old sort on multi-CPU systems.

The sort speed comparison is not actually fair because the old sort cuts so=
me corners and=20
has a number of bugs.

The concrete figures do not have much sense because you change the sort fil=
e and you get a totally=20
different performance ratio.=20

>=20
> > Since the import, the reported minor bugs have been
> > fixed and BSD sort has passed the portbuild test. If you encounter
> any
> > problems or incompatibility with the old GNU version, please report.
>=20
> Has this been thoroughly regression-tested against the old version,
> option by option?

Of course we have the regression tests. We have an overnight test that runs=
 through=20
probably 17 millions various sort option combinations.  But we actually had=
 to compare=20
the new sort against a fresh GNU sort implementation (version 8.15), becaus=
e the old BSD GNU sort=20
is very buggy and testing against the old GNU sort has no sense.

Oleg