Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 1995 05:39:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New SCSI config

Ollivier Robert writes:

I assume my answer was lost in the great mailing list lossage.
Ollivier should have the answer, but here is a copy for others:

> # new wired down SCSI devices
> disk        sd0 at scbus0 target 0 unit 0
> disk        sd1 at scbus0 target 1
> tape        st0 at scbus0 target 4
> device      cd0 at scbus0 target 6
>
> device      sd0 #Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows
> device      st0 #Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows
> device      cd0 #Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows

These last three lines won't change things.

> With or without the last three lines, config -- newly recompiled of course
> -- gives me these messages :
>
> 321 [23:12] root@keltia:i386/conf# config KELTIA
> Removing old directory ../../compile/KELTIA:  Done.
> sd0: Warning, can't tell what is attached to scbus0.
> sd1: Warning, can't tell what is attached to scbus1.
> st0: Warning, can't tell what is attached to scbus0.
> cd0: Warning, can't tell what is attached to scbus0.
>
> Adding an
>
> options         NEW_SCSICONF

This is unrelated to the changes I made and no options are needed for
those to work.

The message:
> sd0: Warning, can't tell what is attached to scbus0.

warns you that you've wired down "sd0" but it is wired to "scbus0",
which isn't wired to anything.  Adding another host adapter can result
in your device moving.  I'll change the warning to something like:

> sd0: Warning, sd0 is configured at scbus0 but scbus0 can move.

To get rid of the warning wire down scbus0, as in:

> controller scbus0 at aha0

The second problem is that I used the "char *wunum(int num)" function to
write out the unit number. It sprintfs the unit in a static buffer.
That is why in:

> sd1: Warning, can't tell what is attached to scbus1.

the bus unit is wrong.  Checking the table in ioconf.c shows that it
generates the right table.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936