Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2018 11:11:24 +0300
From:      "karu.pruun" <karu.pruun@gmail.com>
To:        Si Miao <meowthink@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help diagnose my Ryzen build problem (in progress)

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 5:28 AM Meowthink <meowthink@gmail.com> wrote:

> Update:
>
> machdep.idle = hlt and machdep.idle_mwait = 0 failed also. It can't
> last even longer than machdep.idle = mwait, which could normally panic
> after a few passes of building gcc. I tried hlt twice, both not longer
> than half hour.
>
> Now, as another round of building 4 gccs in parallel is going to finish, with
> machdep.idle = spin and machdep.idle_mwait = 0.
> Can I say Ryzen 2400G probably have issues with both mwait and hlt?

I suppose we can conclude that HLT is a culprit as it causes issues
both on FreeBSD and DragonFly. On DragonFly it occurs in an isolated
case where I had to run java. Otherwise the desktop would last for 3 -
4 weeks with no problems (and I only had to reboot since I built a new
kernel). Also, when I finished running java, I switched on HLT again
to get better power saving. But that said, yes, Ryzen 2400G has an
issue with HLT in general. This has not been mentioned in the Revision
guide for family 17h, and the latter does not explicitly include
2400G, which is model 11h as you said.

https://support.amd.com/TechDocs/55449_Fam_17h_M_00h-0Fh_Rev_Guide.pdf

Regarding MWAIT, the DragonFly bug report says that the microcode
update 0x0810100B fixes this. But I can't comment since I did not
touch that at all.

Cheers

Peeter