Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 10:48:11 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current)
Subject:   Re: sup is fetching whole src tree

Nate wrote:

> The CVS 1.4-FAQ is now in our source tree in the cvs src directory.

Thanks,
I see src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs/FAQ:
	Archive-name: cvs-faq
	$Revision: 1.1.1.1 $            <<== Include this in your comments
	$Date: 1995/03/31 07:42:45 $
ftp.think.com/pub/cvs/FAQ-2.3 is the same except a diff shows:
	$Revision: 2.3 $              <<== Include this in your comments
	$Date: 1993/08/13 18:00:10 $
It seems FreeBSD CVS zapped the original Revision ?
At least src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs/README has an unmangled Rev. No. in it:
				CVS Kit, Version 1.4 Alpha

Suggestion for CVS on FreeBSD :
Perhaps on freefall CVS initial commit we (or cvs ?) should prepend a
FreeBSD CVS stamp, & then prevent CVS from mangling second and subsequent
revision strings

We would then have a src tree (rather than just a FreeBSD CVS tree), where
	- users could identify file versions without ftp'ing (or tar xv'ing
	  etc) to check & compare.
	- subsequent embedded version strings would not get mangled
	  (as Rod diagnosed was happening for instance on a (since fixed)
	  version of ports/comms/hylafax/patches/patch-aa)

Years ago I used SCCS something like this (I recall),
	- First line showed our company's internal SCCS string.
	- Next line was sometimes/often blank I seem to recall,
	- Next line was the unchanged Rev. No. (SCCS or whatever else)
	  of whoever our software source was.

Would this method be attractive to FreeBSD ?

Julian S