Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 2009 14:39:26 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Fwd: 32 bit ports on an AMD64 system

>So, make/build/run a normal jail using the 64 bit os "world", add -m32
>to the make.conf CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, build stuff in the jail, and
>copy it to main (non-jailed) system, and run ldconfig on the library
>directories? I'd probably also change PREFIX/LOCALBASE to prevent the
>files from the ports from colling with the base system files when I
>copy them over.

Well, this would certainly help with building the ports safely.  But I
think we -- at least I was -- were thinking that you would actually
leave them in the jail, and run them from the jailed environment, so
there would be fewer run-time problems, and no work to transfer them
over.  Remember that you've got to ensure that there is no problem
with run-time linking of shared libraries, some of which (in your
current scheme) will have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions with the
same soname.  You can probably work around this problem as well, but
it seems easier to leave them in the jail.

b.