Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:18:11 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Justin Scott <jhs@impakt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: greetings

In message <20010126130631.D24432@impakt.net> Justin Scott writes:
: What I am wondering is if the current "Networking Version" of PicoBSD has the
: ability to support SMP?

I don't think so.

: The project I'm currently working on is the resurrection of Pentium-or-better
: class machines, which have been abandoned by their owners in favor of faster
: hardware.  I try to get as many dual-processor machines as possible.  The
: whole reason for this is to provide CPU cycles to the SETI@Home project.

Cool.  Are these machines new enough to support PXE in many of the
newer NIC cards?  If so, you may be better off just doing a PXE boot
instead of a PicoBSD boot.  Most PCI nic cards on ebay are $10-$15 and
many of them support PXE.  But I can't recall if the BIOS needs to
support it too or not.

: What I am considering is placing two floppy drives into one of these systems,
: booting off of the PicoBSD floppy, and storing all SETI@Home information on
: the second floppy.  Two CPU's worth of SETI@Home data files can be stored in
: less than 1.44 megs, including a single copy of the client binary.

If you can get the SMP support into the kernel, then this has a good
chance of working.  However, you'll likely need to do a lot of custom
hacking, I suspect.  The 3.x version is likely easier to get going,
but I think it lacks SMP support.

: I apologize if this topic has previously been discussed, or if my answer could
: be found in online documentation.  I didn't find the answer on the PicoBSD
: site.

No.  this is certainly a novel use of older machines :-)

Warner