Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:15:08 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Drew C Morone <drew@j51.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving SCSI drives

>I want to move my Quantum PD1800 from a computer with an NCR controller
>to one with an Adaptec 2940 controller.
>When I do this, I get the old F? problem or "Missing Operating System"
>which I suppose has to do with an incompatible geometry with the Adaptec
>controller. I've tried toggling >1 gig translation but get the same
>thing. Are there any other things I can do in the setup to get the
>Adaptec to recognise the OS? If I put it back on the NCR it works fine.
>
>Drew

You will not be able to boot from it unless you back up the dat,
change the geometry, and restore the data.  If you want to use it
as a non-boot drive, you should have no problem as FreeBSD uses
LBA to access the data and LBA is geometry agnostic.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations