Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:55:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To:        Maxlor <mail@maxlor.com>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: preventing tampering with tripwire

 - Change kern.securelevel to 1. This prevents
> modifying any file which has
> the schg flag set. The securelevel cannot be lowered
> without a reboot. I've
> got to think a bit about how preventing a lowering
> through rebooting...
> maybe schg'ing /etc/rc and /etc/rc.conf?

I bet an attacker would be pretty annoyed if he rooted
your box, knew FreeBSD well enough to know the schg
trick, rebooted, then found out that you had set a
BIOS passwd.  He'd have to be local and have a
screwdriver :).  Of course your remote admin would
take a hit so it's up to circumstances whether you can
do that or not.

=====