Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 00:30:38 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bugzilla? (was Re: Okay, I think I need some serious introduction ;-)

Thus spake Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org>:
> On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>
> > As I understand, all this is essentially impossible to do in GNATS, and
> > things are going to get worse.
>
> 'K, one thing that I don't recall when we investigated Bugzilla way back
> when ... GNaTs has a 'send-pr' functionality that is installed by default,
> so that submitting bug reports is integrated as part of each release?
>
> And, I think, the biggest nightmare ... how do you switch over from GNaTs
> -> Bugzilla without losing a *very* large portion of your user base?
> You'd need some sort of 'GNaTs Report -> Bugzilla Entry' gateway so that
> users of older versions would still have acess ...

Given that they've figured out how to convert entire GNATS
databases to Bugzilla databases automatically, I'm sure backwards
compatibility for new bug reports could be implemented.  Besides,
everyone and his dog uses the web these days, so despite how much
I hate the web, I have to say that the worst case is that people
with old versions are annoyed when they are forced to use lynx or
(heaven forbid) a mouse.