Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 1995 11:42:19 -0400
From:      dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal to change name of this list to a less embarrassing one

I know that Jordan already has stated that the "hackers" stays, but this
discussion seems to lack one important element, which is the definition of
the FreeBSD goals. What is FreeBSD? Yet Another OS? What are the goals? To
be the Best OS? To get more developers? To be better than Linux and BSD/OS?
To be more widely used? And if so, why is "corporate acceptance" important?
Or are there underlying commercial motivations, like to sell more CDROMS, or
to provide a good free O/S for the  consulting ventures of  the "hackers"?
Its quite a mystery to me.

db

[much deleted]