Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 00:34:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Don Wilde <don@PartsNow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *** Real Action Item: SPECweb

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Don Wilde wrote:

> Do they use just one chain or do they have the state machine designed to
> interface each drive separately?

  How does anyone know how the implementation of any piece of hardware
works?  You don't.  You instead try it and measure it.  Simon has some
posted some results on i/o operations per second that he has measured
(4000/s I believe).

..
> How's this for a scenario:
> We get an 8-slot passive-PCI chassis (or one of those SuperMicro's that was
> mentioned before) with a P-II/400 on its master, then put 2 DPT's each with 3-4
> small FW-SCSI3 disks and populate the other 5 slots with the Intel intelligent
> 100/Pro cards.

  One disk per SCSI channel?

  I think it is more important to look at the array config (proabably
RAID 1), and strip size settings, plus the various tuning paramters.

Tom