Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:33:45 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp and ascend router problems

As Brian Somers wrote:

> The peer is behaving differently.  If this is the same peer, I'd be
> surprised.  The funny thing here is that we manage to squeeze two
> CONFIG REQs out before the peer sends anything.  The peer doesn't REQ
> for four seconds.

That could be a busy radius server on the other end.

> I'd examine this with whoever controls (and hopefully understands)
> the peer.  Basically, if we send a REJ, the peer *must not* REQ the
> things that we REJ.  We are entitled to drop the connection
> immediately if this happens because the peer is violating the ppp
> protocol.

When debugging FreeBSD's sppp layer, i've in the end sent a large bug
report to Ascend, complaining about various protocol violations (the
most serious was that they allowed IPCP negotiation before completing
authentication phase, and then dropped the successfully authenticated
connection, for the only apparent reason that non-AUTH traffic
happened before).

I've got a quick response, even from a developer, but have yet to hear
anything againg from them...

--
cheers, J"org