Date:      Sun, 07 Mar 1999 03:32:34 -0800
From:      Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Alex Perel <veers@disturbed.net>
Cc:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft dies after 47 days (was: Moving on and check out my.sig)

Alex Perel wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, jack wrote:
> > On Mar 5 Wes Peters wrote:
> > > What's the likelihood of keeping a Win95/Win98 machine up for 49.7
> > > days in the first place?
> >
> > Perhaps it could be done with no programs launched at startup, no
> > mouse, no keyboard, no network connection, no serial or parallel
> > port connections, no USB connections, no APM, and no screen
> > saver?
>
>         Nope - Windows gets all confused if you don't launch a myraid of
> useless things on startup. The only way to keep windows from crashing is
> encasing the machine in concrete and sending it to the bottom of the ocean.
> If it is not running, it's not going to crash, now is it..?

The machine used for bookkeeping and taxes has no modem, no sound,
no NIC... not even a fancy video card, I built it using quality
parts.  It runs an updated Windoze Ninety-Hate and is very stable
in Windows-relative terms.  No software other than Quickbooks,
Quattro Pro, and Quicken.  The longest it's run without a fault of
any kind is one day, but it's stayed running since Feb 12 without
needing a reset.  Given its nature that's pretty damned impressive.

(yeah, I know but hey, know your enemy, right?)

O Great Gods of -Hackers, forgive this humble wretch this
terrible sin and permit me once more to walk with you amongst
the heavens... :-)

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net                                    ICQ: 29880099
gryph@mindless.com                          PGP DH/DSS key available