Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2002 05:17:06 -0400
From:      "Maxime Romano" <verbophobe@hotmail.com>
To:        marcus@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another GNOME 2.0 screenshot

>From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
>To: Maxime Romano <verbophobe@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Another GNOME 2.0 screenshot
>On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 01:03, Maxime Romano wrote:
> > >From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
> > >To: gnome@FreeBSD.org
> > >Subject: Another GNOME 2.0 screenshot
> > >
> > >I was playing around with some themes on my GNOME 2.0 dev machine, and
> > >thought I'd share.
> > >
> > >http://www.marcuscom.com/gnome2_theme.png
> > >
> > >The above is a GNOME 2.0 screenshot with anti-aliasing enabled showing
> > >the same XML file opened in gedit and vim.  The Nautilus theme is
> > >Stylish-IX and the GTK theme is Crux2 (soon to be ported to
> > >x11-toolkits).  The window manager is metacity with the Gorilla theme.
> > >The background is from http://www.mikebonnell.com.
> > >
> > >Joe
> >
> > Well, it might be a little pretentious of myself, but here's mine:
>
>Looks nice.  What fonts are you using?

First, I copied all the default fonts on a Windows 2000 installation (had to
ask a friend.  He thought it was a pretty odd request, to say the least) to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType.  Then, I created a makeshift XftConfig
from various other XftConfigs available on the 'net.  One problem I had: if
the XftConfig is put into /etc/X11, it won't work for some weird, wild
reason.  I just stuck it in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ and it magically worked!
Here's my XftConfig in case you care:

http://www.jewcrew.org/~verbophobe/XftConfig

Then, just go into that Gnome font selector thing, specify the "LuciduxSans"
font, restart gnome-session, and you're set!

> > http://www.jewcrew.org/~verbophobe/gnome2-expo.png
> >
> > Apps, in no specific order:
> > - XChat 1.9.1 (With Xft fonts!) --  I compiled this myself after some
> > tweaking that I didn't diff.  Here's a package I whipped up:
> > http://www.jewcrew.org/~verbophobe/xchat-1.9.1.tgz
> > - GThumb 1.101 -- Again, I had to compile this myself, but this time, I
>took
> > a few diffs and actually created a port!  (Wee!)  Package:
> > http://www.jewcrew.org/~verbophobe/gthumb-1.101.tgz    Port (shar):
> > http://www.jewcrew.org/~verbophobe/gthumb2.sh
>
>Thanks for the submission.  I've contacted the gthumb maintainer to see
>if he is already working on such a port.  If not, I'll commit yours.

Woo!  I wasn't even expecting that.  Hell, if this actually makes it, I may
start porting more crap...

> > - GNOME Dictionairy 2.0.0 -- The app I use most, second to Galeon
> > - GNOME Terminal 2.0.0 -- This may very well be #3
> > - Geyes -- Oooh!  Look at them googly things go!
> > - Sawfish 2.0 --  Still the best WM around
> >
> > Comments (Everything can be found on http://sunshineinabag.co.uk/):
> > - GTK+2.0 theme: PrettyOkayish theme (Uses ThinIce engine)
> > - Sawfish Theme: HeliX-Sweetpill-Popcorn
> > - Upon reconsideration, this is *really* pretentious
> > - I'm not Jewish
> > - "Jew Crew" is a warez board I hang out on from time to time.
> > - I run -RELEASE because it's the only sane thing to do.  -RELEASE is
> > actually faster for me than -STABLE, most of the time.
>
>Glad to hear it's working well for you.
>
>By the way, she's cute ;-).

A friend informed me that she's actually Alyson Hannigan from that TV show
"Buffy the Vampire Slayer."  It's amazing that this
(http://www.digitalreflections.org/~ao/candids/candid017.jpg) turns into
this (http://www.alysonhannigancorner.com/alyson/fhm/fhm01-072.jpg).
Incredible what a few Photoshop filters can do...