Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 1995 16:06:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Robinson <james@hermes.cybernetics.net>
To:        steveg@wavefront.wti.com (Steve Galle)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mfs file system speed

I am sure that if I am wrong that someone will correct me :-), but...

Since mfs is ultimately backed by swap space, its speed is found by using
RAM. Since you are writing such a big file (something like 25M?), you
are forcing your machine to swap.

MFS is best used for storing temporary files such as the ones that GCC
spits out durring a compile -- if you have enough free RAM, then those
files never have to hit disk, hence compiles happen much quicker.

I've seen one problem with MFS, though. Say I want to print a really
big 3 -> 4M postscript file. If I lpd it directly, it tends to error
out saying that the file is too large (is this tuneable? I've not
RT(right)FM on that one). So, I use lpr -s, which makes a sym link
to the file as opposed to copying the file to the print spool area. When
I try that trick with something that is in my /tmp (a MFS), I get the
following error:

"Your printe job was not printed because it was not linked to the original
file."

Oh well!

James