Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 16:07:24 -0700
From:      Mike Johnson <Mike.Johnson@t-netix.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Compaq 1850 Thunderlan Problems

------_=_NextPart_001_01C045EA.D3D24CD4

The Netflex (Thunderlan) embedded ethernet controller in the Compaq 1850R
does not seem to like the Thunderlan driver.  When connected to a
10BaseT/UTP hub the controller will continuously cycle through the
auto-detection bringing the connection (and the physical link) up and down
repeatedly (driver with no arguments - default of autodetect).

The same configuration will work fine and detect 100BaseT full duplex when
connected to a 10/100 switch and the network connection functions.  I have
tried adding the 'media 10BaseT/UTP' argument which causes the controller to
lock into that mode without autodetecting, leaving the link established.
However, no data will pass (cannot ping in our out).  I can ping the
loopback address and I can ping the local IP.

I have reproduced this problems with multiple versions of FreeBSD
(2.x,3.x,4.x).  My assumption is that Compaq has implemented the TI
Thunderlan chipset in a "nonstandard" way and thereby broken the driver.

Has anyone else seen/solved this problem?  Any help/suggestions would be
appreciated.

Michael S. Johnson

------_=_NextPart_001_01C045EA.D3D24CD4

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>Compaq 1850 Thunderlan Problems</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The Netflex (Thunderlan) embedded =
ethernet controller in the Compaq 1850R does not seem to like the =
Thunderlan driver.&nbsp; When connected to a 10BaseT/UTP hub the =
controller will continuously cycle through the auto-detection bringing =
the connection (and the physical link) up and down repeatedly (driver =
with no arguments - default of autodetect).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The same configuration will work fine =
and detect 100BaseT full duplex when connected to a 10/100 switch and =
the network connection functions.&nbsp; I have tried adding the 'media =
10BaseT/UTP' argument which causes the controller to lock into that =
mode without autodetecting, leaving the link established.&nbsp; =
However, no data will pass (cannot ping in our out).&nbsp; I can ping =
the loopback address and I can ping the local IP.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have reproduced this problems with =
multiple versions of FreeBSD (2.x,3.x,4.x).&nbsp; My assumption is that =
Compaq has implemented the TI Thunderlan chipset in a =
&quot;nonstandard&quot; way and thereby broken the driver.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Has anyone else seen/solved this =
problem?&nbsp; Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Michael S. Johnson</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C045EA.D3D24CD4--