Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 13:29:31 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Lee Crites <adonai@jump.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bug in setsockopt()... ?

<<On Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:21:33 -0800, David Greenman <dg@root.com> said:

>    All operating systems have bugs. The setsockopt for SO_RCVBUF/SO_SNDBUF
> was broken (I think) when Path MTU Discovery was implemented about a year
> ago. It will be fixed - hopefully soon, but you should just document how
> it is supposed to work and forget about the bugs.

The bug, to be precise, is that the user can specify any buffer size
they want, but that size gets thrown out when some of the other parts
of the TCP control block are computed.

>    As for access to people's whiteboards, well, mine is hanging on my wall and
> changes all the time. I don't have an electronic version (and don't intend to
> create one). It currently has things on it such as "telnetd ptcout hang" and
> "ix driver panic", but most of the items only mean something to me.

Same here.  That particular whiteboard entry is labeled ``M. Dillon
spipe/mss'', which is actually for a slightly different problem, which
I'm not certain I agree is entirely a bug, but which is closely
related to this one and began manifesting itself at about the same
time.  Usually the stuff on my whiteboard has little to do with what
I'm actually working on right now, and more to do with longer-term
concerns that I think I might forget if I don't write them down.  The
other ``public'' items up there right now are ``NFS packet stealing''
and ``KERNEL -> _KERNEL''.

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick