Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2000 17:50:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        Linda Foley <lfoley@rocler.qc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ready to switch, but...

Hi Linda,

> -about the packaging system: how does it work?  does it download and
> install automatically the desired program as well as its dependencies?

Yes - is the short answer.  There are two software installation
systems.  The package system will automatically install dependencies and
works by installing pre-compiled binaries of the requested software.  The
ports system uses a Makefile to download a tarball of source code, patch
it for FreeBSD, install dependencies (by also downloading and compiling
the source for those dependencies not already installed) for said software
and then installing the compiled binaries.  Some people prefer the
packages, others prefer compiling everything themselves - your choice.

> Is it possible to upgrade the whole system =E0 la apt-get dist-upgrade
> (if it's not COULD it be available soon?)?

The method for upgrade is a bit different.  The primary way to upgrade is
to use CVSup to update the source for the system, then run "make world" to
recompile the entire system.  Of course you need to build a new kernel as
well to sync the kernel with the system, but that's not a big deal.  There
is a binary upgrade possible between releases, but I've never tried it.

> -Can I play Linux games (especially Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament)

You can play many games - that said I haven't tried either of these and I
don't honestly know.  I would try checking the archives of the -multimedia
or -emulation lists.  I seem to recall hearing that Quake 3 works but that
could be just my brain throwing things out there.  I don't know about
Unreal.

> -How does FreeBSD performs compared to Linux (in terms of stability,
> speed, memory-usage, etc. (you can use comapraisons, like a Ferrari vs
> a Civic, or whatever)

Under high load, FreeBSD tends to perform more stably.  In my experience
with both (and I haven't had any Linux experience in awhile) I found
FreeBSD less likely to crash/hang and perform better under even moderate
loads.  YMMV. =20

> -I have the source code of a program made with Linux.  Is it possible
> to make it run under FreeBSD without means of emulation

Very likely.  Some programs are a bit difficult to port if they are too
Linux-centric (like lots of calls to /proc which differs between FBSD and
Linux).  In principle it can _always_ be done - it may take a lot of
effort.  Or it could just compile. =20

> -are there good sites (such as www.linuxnewbie.org) to help FreeBSD
> newbies?

Quite a few actually.  The handbook is almost always where I look first
(or the FAQ or Tutorials).  All of these can be found on the web site or
your own hard drive once you've installed.  You can now also buy the
handbook.

Another excellent resource is The FreeBSD Diary
(http://www.freebsddiary.org/).  I use this frequently when I get
stuck with something I can't find in the handbook.

There is a newbies list from freebsd.org. Just subscribe to
freebsd-newbies;  of course you can always use -questions as you're doing
now.

Finally I would be remiss if I didn't point you to DaemonNews
(http://www.daemonnews.org/).  We have an AnswerMan column and have just
started a support area (support.daemonnews.org). =20

Brett
-----
"Like dogs, bicycles are social catalysts that attract a superior category
of people." - Chip Brown, "A Bike and a Prayer"