Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 13:59:58 +0200
From:      "Fredrik Olausson" <fredrik@speechcraft.com>
To:        "James" <james@fr.clara.net>
Cc:        "Stuart Duckworth" <ITServices@cableinet.co.uk>, "Dragon Singer" <WM-Scace@wiu.edu>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hello,

----- Original Message -----
> The Packages can be a pain in the *rse...although sticking with
> stable has rarely caused problems...One thing I still haven't got to grips
> with on FreeBSD is an upgrade, (4.2 to 4.3 for example) To be honest I
> haven't needed to attempt it yet but it looks horrible ! :-)

Hmm... I upgraded our server here at work from 4.0 to 4.2 not to long ago
and... well, I'm ashamed of admitting it but I basically blew the disks and
reinstalled completely. Later on, after thinking about this (some people
would use the word "rationalize" here), I figured that it might be a good
idea from a security standpoint to do a clean reinstall of the OS on wvery
major systems upgrade, that way you are forced to revisit the configuration
files and you make sure any back doors and other nasties are taken care of.

-Fredrik