Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 1995 02:13:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rdm@ic.net (Rob Misiak)
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   system crash - help!

Hi,

I am running 2.2-current (but I don't think that's the cause of my problem;
see below) and I logged out of a vty, and the system just hung. The hard
disk light was flickering, but I did not hear the disk spin at all. I ended
up doing a cold reset, and my filesystems ended up a mess. I booted into
single-user mode, and restored backups of /etc and /usr/local/etc (in case
any of the files were damaged) and ran fsck, etc. I then rebooted, and
after the disks were mounted (but right before root was re-mounted for
read-write) the system hung again. I hit ^C, and I guess skipped whatever
was hanging, and went on with the rest of the rc files. The same thing
happened with sendmail, so I hit ^C again. And finally, the system hung
once more when I was supposed to get the login prompt. Obviously, I couldn't
do anything here. I tried also booting 2.0.5 generic and 2.1.0-something-snap
kernels, but the same thing happened. Any idea what caused this, and more
importantly, how to fix it? The few times that the system did crash before
nothing like this happened. At the moment I'm stuck in single-user mode using
cu to log into a shell account, so naturally I'm eager to get the system back
to they way it used to be. :-)

Rob