Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 1997 18:04:45 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>
To:        "Tracy E. Phillips" <tphilips@cedar.netten.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Couple of newbie questions

First, this type of messages belong to the questions list, so I've
modified the cc line.

On Sun, 5 Jan 1997, Tracy E. Phillips wrote:

> I have use Linux for a while so i am quite used to bash. How can i make
> bash the system default?

You must install it as a package/port, and then use chsh or vipw to
change a user's default shell.

> How can i get the console block curser to be a blinking line?

Don't know :-(.

> What are ide drives called under FreeBSD? My drives under Linux are:
>
> primary master   = /dev/hda
> primary slave    = /dev/hdb   this is where my *nix OS sits
> secondary master = /dev/hdc

IDE drives are called wd0-wd3 in FreeBSD. The device names also have
indication of the DOS slice and UNIX partition, so, for example, my swap
partition is on /dev/wd0s2b (which is the second partition (the 'b') , on
the second primary slice (the 's2') or DOS partition on the master disk on
the primary controlller).

> Can you alter the location that /stand/sysinstall looks for packages?
> Since i do not have FreeBSD on cdrom i therefore have my packages on
> another partition.

The easiest way to install packages after you have a running system is
use pkg_add. Just write (as root) pkg_add /the/place/where/your/package/is.

> When will vfat be intoduced? This is probably not a cherished item to
> many, but i think it would be one feature that would attract people who
> are dual users of OS's.

Can't say.

> Thanks,
>
> Tracy