Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:39:22 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Jake Burkholder <jake@k7.locore.ca>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preliminary proposed rollup of kernel submap initialization code

Matt Dillon wrote:
>     Look, I don't want to get into a big argument.  It makes sense to
>     keep them together because they are related, and even though our
>     existing platforms do not appear to need them I can see that changing
>     in the future as we add more platform ports to the system.  For example,
>     having the pager range accessible could be advantageous for platforms
>     that take TLB faults.

For a MIPS or other processors where TLBs are done in software,
using the pointer could get vastly more expensive than a global
reference, if you had to look in there for every shootdown, and
an LRU shootdown of at least one entry happened on nearly every
context switch.

As for keeping them together, I understand the desire to have
them around for doing automatic limits calculations, but if
that's going to happen, it should be that they are required to
be initialized past a certain point on all platforms, or they
are MD, and don't belong in an MI structure.

I agree that they are related -- just that they are related by
machine dependencies on a platform which isn't supported yet
(I don't think we need to worry about Chris D. switching the
Sibytes card away from NetBSD any time soon, for example 8-)).

-- Terry