Date:      Fri, 29 Jul 2005 23:33:35 +0800
From:      Xin LI <delphij@frontfree.net>
To:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Add usr/ports to BSD.usr.mtree

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

Hi, Joerg,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 04:43:49PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 12:24:44PM +0800, Xin LI wrote:
> > My points to have /usr/ports in the mtree is for convience that users
> > creating a jail that is intended to mount the ports tree from the host
> > system, without having to create their own in every instances.  What
> > do you think about this?
>=20
> My point of view is that it blurs the distinction between base system
> and local extensions. It surely is convient, but I often scratch my
> head when I find empty directories on my system. Don't you start to
> wonder what those directories exist for?

I think I won't if the directory is a well-known one... But I buy
your "blur the distinction between base system and local extension" :-)

> Back to the given example of mounting ports into multiple jails,
> wouldn't you normally have the ports tree only in one jail and use that
> for all building? The dinoex scripts come to my mind.

This seems to be true only when the jail is provided for one single
administrator.  For a virtual hosting environment, you will want to
run different OS versions inside jail (the development hosting box
runs FreeBSD 6.0, 5.4, 5.3, 4.11 and 4.8 inside different jails),
and just let the users to choose which application they want.  Of
course this needs some tricks like WRKDIRPREFIX tweaking
inside every jails, and FETCH_CMD to point a hook that fetches
all distfiles on behalf of the user, with all read-only ports tree.

I will think about other solutions of the usr/ports handling, then.
Thanks for the input!

Cheers,
--=20
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi--