Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:08:14 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl gurus??

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 08:54:06AM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> I have FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE (was 4.7-STABLE) but even then, running CPAN
> would give the following barf:
>
> beastie% sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell
> Use of uninitialized value in bitwise and (&) at (eval 220) line 1.
> Use of uninitialized value in bitwise and (&) at (eval 222) line 1.
>
> cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.61)
> ReadLine support enabled
>
> cpan>
>

> Perl is v5.8.0
>

> Clues welcome.

Hmmm... I can't reproduce this under FreeBSD-4.7 and perl-5.8.0.
However, I'd hazard a guess that it's something wrong with your local
CPAN configuration.

What, if anything, are the contents of:

    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN/Config.pm

    /root/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm

    ~/.cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm

It's OK if the last two don't exist: that just means you're using the
systemwide default configuration.

The CPAN module supplied with perl-5.8.0 is version 1.61. There's an
update to 1.63 available on cpan.org --- you could try installing that
and see if it clears things up.  Note however that as CPAN is bundled
with perl, the next time you update your perl port you may well end up
back where you started.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way