Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:55:16 -0800
From:      Ken Key <key@Network-Alchemy.com>
To:        cmonster <chuck@2inches.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad 560

Hi, I have the same TP560 as you (DSTN display, Cyber9382) running
v3.3 w/PAO.  I NFS-installed v3.3-release via a LinkSys EC2T pccard.
When I needed to trade that card for a NetGear FA410TX, I had to
install PAO to support the NetGear.

I could not get the X display configured properly via the XF86Setup
or xf86configure - I'd get a flashing display.  I didn't try too hard,
though, as dropping in the display component from an old XF86Config I
had (FreeBSD v2.2.8 - XF86 v3.3.something) worked.  I can mail you my
/etc/XF86Config, if you'd like.

For v3.3-release vs PAO, I'd only install PAO3 if it has something I
need (i.e., support for the NetGear card).  However, my PAO install
experience was not nearly as bad as yours. I copied PAO3 locally onto
the machine, untar'ed in /usr/src, and performed the "make <foo>"'s per
the instructions in the README.install.  Except for a reject on /etc/rc.conf,
which was easily fixed by hand, it all worked perfectly.  How did you
perform the PAO upgrade?  What PAO3 version?

For -release vs -stable vs -current, it's a question of how stable you
expect your machine to be vs. having features you need.  I'm thinking
about installing -current on my TP560 because I need the cam'ed aic
for my Sony CDROM and this machine is a crash-and-burn machine.  I still
run v2.2.8-release w/PAO (although I expect to install v3.3 in a few weeks)
on my daily-use laptop (a TP600).

Can't help you on the LinkSys multi-function card.

Just my $.02 worth,
Ken Key
--
Ken Key (key@Network-Alchemy.com)