Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:18:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, chris@calldei.com, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Union mount of fdesc on top of /dev

On 29-Mar-00 Robert Watson wrote:
> On 28 Mar 2000, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>
>> Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> writes:
>> > Symlinks have my vote.
>>
>> The downside is they'll be broken if fdesc isn't mounted...
>
> I consider this to be a relatively serious impediment to a number of the
> ``make it a file system'' solutions--they aren't mounted when you boot to
> single user mode, and if you're booting to single user mode due to some
> sort of failure, you may not be able to mount them during the recovery.

Note that devfs is even more strongly susceptible to these same problems.
If you are already using devfs, then I don't think you are incurring that
much extra of a problem.  Since the general feeling I've gotten is that we
do want to move towards using devfs in the future, then solving this
problem the right way will probably be a good way.  Statically compiling
devfs and fdescfs into the kernel might be one solution.  When we do get
devfs working, it will probably replace the existing static /dev if my
understanding is correct, in which case every kernel will need devfs and
fdescfs anyways, so statically compiling them in shouldn't be that much of
a problem.