Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 10:50:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kees Jan Koster <dutchman@tccn.cs.kun.nl>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/24177: Patch for fxp on Alpha

The following reply was made to PR alpha/24177; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kees Jan Koster <dutchman@tccn.cs.kun.nl>
To: mjacob@feral.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 19:46:26 +0100

 > You don't say which specific platform this is. It's unusual that I/O space
 > works better than Memory space. It's also true that various flavors of EEPRO
 > are known to work.

 D'oh! I keep forgetting Alpha's aren't PC's. :) Here's the relevant
 dmesg snippet.

   DEC AXPpci
   Alpha PC AXPpci33, 166MHz
   8192 byte page size, 1 processor.
   CPU: LCA Family major=4 minor=2
   OSF PAL rev: 0x100090002012d

 I apologize for not including this information immediately.

 > I sure wish I knew whether the maintainer for this card s active or not on
 > this. I think your patches are in the right direction, but aren't really quite
 > what we should be looking for- they could be a lot tighter and should be
 > runtime as opposed to compile time settable- see isp_pci.c for an example (not
 > the best, granted) of this.

 These are not my own patches. I reported this problem earlier on
 freebsd-alpha and in the resulting discussion these patches came up. I
 tried them and they worked for me. The discussion was in the "fxp0 hangs
 on a PC164 using STABLE" and the "fxp0 hangs my AXPpci33" threads, on
 freebsd-alpha around July 2000.

 At the time they were not committed because of their hackish nature, as
 you have noted yourself. Someone hinted that he was going to rework them
 in a more socially acceptable manner, but his time seems to have been
 claimed by more important matters. Since this was months ago I figured
 that I should try to get the patch committed.

   Yours,
     Kees Jan