Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 13:07:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   chflags should be compiled static

I had a merry adventure.  On a make world, I got a corrupted libc.so.2.1.
Needless to say, the phrase ld.so failed became very familiar to me, very
quickly.

Unfortunately, libc.so.2.1 is installed with the schg option.  I was unable
to remove the offending library as I could not disable this option because
chflags said ld.so failed.  ld.so is similarly locked down.  I managed
to get around this by moving the directory and copying the needed libraries
into the new /usr/lib.  This should be avoided by making this tools static.
Reasoning:  If I have to use the tool to fix the library, the tool should
not depend on the library.

Boyd

 Boyd Faulkner                                  faulkner@isd.tandem.com