Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 1995 07:44:36 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        fadorno@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer acting up again

Your /etc/printcap should look something like the following.  In
particular, note that we added the ``:sh:'' capability.  This will
turn of the header pages that are normally generated by lpd.
epson|action|laser|Epson ActionLaser 1500:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:\
	:sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/epson:mx#0:\
	:if=/usr/local/bin/lpf:
Remember that every line of a single entry must have a backslash
except the last, and each line except the first must start with a TAB.

The shell script /usr/local/bin/lpf should look like this:
#!/bin/sh
#
#  /usr/local/bin/lpf - print to HP/PCL-compatible printer on stdout
#
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin; export PATH

printf "\033&k2G" && cat && printf "\f" && exit 0
exit 2
Remember that it's \033 and not /033; \f and not /f.

Make the shell script executable:
chown bin.bin /usr/local/bin/lpf
chmod 555 /usr/local/bin/lpf

And try it out!
lptest 40 10 | lpr

You should get ASCII text in a shifting pattern, 10 lines long by 40
characters wide.  If not, let me know!

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

To me, it's always a good idea to always carry two sacks of something
when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me
a hand?," you can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."  -- Jack Handey