Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 20:11:16 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        Tom Duffey <tduffey@wi.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow LAN FTP downloads

Hello Tom,

> Dear FreeBSD Users,

> I recently stumbled upon a very odd problem on a FreeBSD 4.1-R
> system.  Any machine on the LAN that connects to this box via FTP gets
> around 5kb/sec maximum download speed.  Upload speeds approach 150KB/sec
> on the LAN.

The Realtek drivers appear to be somewhat buggy: the media detection
doesn't always work as it should when using 10mbit hubs. Try adding something
like the following to your interface configuration:
media 10baseT/UTP

(the complete line might read
ifconfig rl0 inet 195.45.51.34 netmask 255.255.255.0 media 10baseT/UTP
or whatever)

Best regards,
 Gabriel