Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 01:28:40 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        "'Jev'" <jev@ecad.org>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: java status and

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 03:37:05PM +0100, Koster, K.J. wrote:
> > 	`-> I heard there were certain requirements that an OS has to
> > 	    meet before being supported, what are these requirements?
> >
> I don't know where you heard this. Any solid references?
>
> The source code to the JDK is some 25 megs of a mix of C, shell scripts,
> assembler and makefiles. You need all of this to work to get a JDK. I think
> that's taxing enough for any OS without Sun specifying others as well. :-)

Don't forget C++ as well :).  The current Sub distribution looks like:

> du -s *
49      LegalReadme.txt
744     OriginalCode.txt
57      README.html
13951   hotspot1.3.1
111101  j2sdk1.3.1

So, probably a little larger than 25M now, although some in Windows
specific code and there are certainly binary objects there as well.

> The FreeBSD 4.x kernel has no kernel threads. The JDKs rely on kernel
> threads

Nope.  The only thing kernel threads provide is the ability to utilise
multiple CPUs.  The JDK will work quite well with FreeBSD's userland
pthreads (we just have to finish this part of the porting).

> > The native freebsd jdk port, can users in only certain countries
> > use this?
> >
> I don't know. I imagine that our license would be as
> restrictive/unrestrictive as the regular Solaris and Linux one.

I think that maybe this is referring to the current port, which requires
one to download the source code.  It does limit things to certain
countries.

However, as Kees Jan says, a binary distribution is likely to be under
the same area restrictions as the binary distributions Sun make available.

> > Does BSDi have a fully functional fully supported jdk?
> >
> River Wind (or was it Wind River? formerly BSDi) is working on their own
> port. I'm not sure about the status of the 1.2.2 port. They have one man
> working full-time on the BSD/OS 1.3.1 port. His work is also imported into
> the patch sets that Greg Lewis publishes.

Wind River :).  You'll see Bill Huey (who is working on this) post to
the list periodically.

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Phone : (801) 765 1887