Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 09:56:41 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HELP!  How do I recover from a power outage?

On Saturday,  2 September 2000 at 19:44:38 -0400, Sam Carleton wrote:
> My FreeBSD machine lost power and now it will not boot up correctly.
> When it boots, I end up at a prompt:
>
> mountroot>
>
> I have figured out how to get to a commadn prompt from there.  I have
> type in:
>
> ufs:/dev/ad2s1a
>
> The machine asks me for the path to a shell, defaults to /bin/sh, I
> presee <Enter>.  Then what do I do??????  I have tried things like:
>
> # fsck /dev/ad2s1a
> Cannot open /dev/ad2s1a: Device not configured.

Are you sure that's the correct file system?

> # fsck -A
> fsck: illegal option A

That's correct.  Where did you get that from?

> But nothing seems to work.  Please help!!!!!!

Well, a little more detail on the messages would help.  For example,
before the prompt for the shell path (the last prompt before entering
single-user mode), there would have been an error message, probably
something like "can't mount, file system not clean".  What was it?

Anyway, try this:

  # fsck -p

You'll probably get a message that the fsck failed for certain file
systems.  NOTE WHICH ONES THEY ARE.  If, for example, /dev/ad0s1e is
one of them, do:

  # fsck -y /dev/ad0s1e

If you still have trouble, reply with the error messages and possibly
the contents of /etc/fstab, as Alfred suggests.

Greg