Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 22:00:12 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>, FREEBSD-CHAT-L <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SMP motherboard advice...

On Wed, Sep 17, 1997 at 01:28:42PM +0930, Mike Smith wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Mike Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > More to the point, there usually being only one L2 cache for the two
> > > CPUs, and a single P6 being more cost-effective.
> >
> >     Do P6 motherboards typically have separate L2 cache for each CPU
> > then?  If so, maybe I'll buy a dual PPro motherboard, but start with
> > just a single CPU.  Do PPro's still have problems running 16-bit code?
>
> Er, the L2 cache comes *with* the P6.  There are two slabs of silicon
> inside it.

Yes, that's exact the reason for Intel, to drop this processor ...
If one of both components (cpu or cache) isn't ok, they have to
throw away the whole CPU...

> Most games these days are flat-model 32-bit code; W95 seems to run OK
> on the P6 if that's your concern,

There is no general problem executing 16-bit code ... it is only a bit
slower.

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD