Date:      Sat, 03 May 2003 14:43:18 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound disappeared on Dell Inspirion 8100

--==_Exmh_1238861292P

> I had 4.5 installed on my Dell Inspirion 8100 and sound worked OK.
> Then, I upgraded to 4.7 and the machine acted like sound was muted.
> I just upgraded to 4.8 and there has been no change.
>
> Sound works fine under Win2K so the hardware is OK.
>
> The kernel sees the sound card:
>    cat /dev/sndstat
>    FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
>    Installed devices:
>    pcm0: <ESS Technology Maestro3> at io 0xdc00 irq 5 (4p/1r/0v channels duplex)
>
> and I can run programs that use the sound card:
>    mpg123 Heart-Barracuda.mp3
>    High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
>    Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
>    Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
>    THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
>
>    Playing MPEG stream from Heart-Barracuda.mp3 ...
>    MPEG 1.0 layer III, 128 kbit/s, 44100 Hz stereo
>
> but nothing comes out the speakers.
>
> It's as though a mute switch has been hit.  I tried toggling the mute
> (ALT-End), hitting volume up (ALT-Page Up and the buttons near the
> power switch) with no efect.
>
> I'm at a loss as to what to try next.  Any ideas?

What does 'mixer' say? My Maestro-3 often comes up with the master
volume set to zero after a new boot (and sometimes after a resume, IIRC).

Don't forget to set the inputs down to nothing if you're not recording
too - this can reduce hiss on playback considerably :-/

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_1238861292P

--==_Exmh_1238861292P--