Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2006 17:02:24 -0500
From:      B Briggs <rcbdyndns@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmaster deletes failed ports

Doug Barton wrote:
> B Briggs wrote:
>
>> The problem is that if unattended, you will not know if the port was
>> deleted especially if you have a lot of output.
>
> I should have added in my previous reply that your statement above is not
> accurate. If the install fails, that invocation of portmaster will fail,
> which will cause all/any parent portmaster processes above it to fail as
> well. Thus, in the event that a port fails to install, the user will be
> notified of it immediately, and no further actions will be taken.
>
> hth,
>
> Doug

Thanks for the correction.

I might note that average Joe won't know what to do with that
notification, and even if a backup was specified, might not know what to
do with the backup.

I'm willing to attempt a patch for this, but if I have any questions
about 'best practices', can I contact you?

For instance, where is the best place to put a temporary backup package?

/var/tmp, /tmp, /usr/ports/packages/All?

--
Bo Briggs