Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:24:33 +0000
From:      Imobach =?iso-8859-1?q?Gonz=E1lez_Sosa?= <imobachgs@banot.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   System crashes... what now?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in the FreeBSD thing, and I'm having some problems that I'd li=
ke=20
to track down as far as possible. In four days using FreeBSD, my machine ha=
s=20
crashed two times, ugh!

a) first time, with 5.3-RELEASE. Nothing changed about the kernel or base=20
system. Just I leave the system alone compiling some stuff (like X.org) all=
=20
night and, next day, the system has been crashed: no video output and no=20
response to keyboard nor network.

b) the second one, this morning with 5.3-STABLE. It was downloading libxslt=
=20
and, at 13 percent, the system went frozen.

My question is: after the system has crashed, what can I do? I mean, where =
can=20
I look for clues about what happened? Log files shows nothing about the=20
incidents, and I'd like to have a clue about what's wrong with FreeBSD and =
my=20
machine.

Ideas?

Thank you in advance.