Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:54:13 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Greg Skouby <gskouby@ns0.sitesnow.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum raid5 spontaneous reboots

On Saturday, 20 November 1999 at 13:54:06 -0500, Greg Skouby wrote:
> Hello,
> I finally managed to set up raid5 with vinum on two freeBSD machines that
> have the folloowing system on it:
> % uname -a
> FreeBSD mail2.blah.com 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Sep 16 23:40:35 GMT 1999     jkh@highwing.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC i38
>
> Every couple of hours I the machines will spontaneously reboot, leaving me
> with nothing in /var/log/messages. I am not positive this is because of
> the vinum setup but I don't think it happened when the vinum setup was not
> there. Is there anyway I can further debug this? Thanks..bye

Well, you could start by reading http://www.lemis.com/vinum/bugs.html
and http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html.  There you will read
that you should update Vinum to 3.3-STABLE.  Then a few details of
what you've done so far would help, for example, what configuration do
you have?  You suggest that you have had problems setting up your
configuration, which may also mean that your configuration is faulty.

Greg