Date:      Mon, 05 Nov 2018 08:58:42 -0600
From:      "Dean E. Weimer" <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SMTP Authentication in 12.0 BETA

I have been running SMTP authentication and using ssl=libressl set as
well. However in 12.0 BETA this fails to compile.

I have followed the settings from
<https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/SMTP-Auth.html>;
and placed the following in my /etc/make.conf

SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include/sasl -DSASL
SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2

However instead of just recompiling the sendmail sections, I do all of
my updates from for source buildworld and kernel. In my attempt to
upgrade from 11.2-p4 to 12.0 svn revsion 340039 the buildworld failed. I
had already done a couple of different builds with different src.conf
options for host and jails. This build matched the jail src.conf with
these additions to make.conf.

I then tried rebuilding openssl dependent ports with ssl=openssl after
removing libressl and installing openssl from ports. Buildworld again
failed, I had done a complete rebuild removed files under /usr/obj and
ran make cleandir to make sure I pulled nothing from previous libressl
build.

Finally I tried again with ssl=base set in make.conf. This succeeds, so
there appears to be some work needed on the sasl inclusion when using
OpenSSL from ports with either OpenSSL or LibreSSL instead of base.

Unfortunately I didn't capture my build output it was done -j 8 so it
would have been hard to see for sure. If I hadn't had successful builds
without the options for SMTP auth set I would have retired without the
-j 8 and a -DNO_CLEAN to find the actual spot of failure.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer