Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2020 20:54:19 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Rollniak (Yan)" <freebsd@yanthiery.me>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to install Terminfo

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 12:00:46 +0100, Rollniak (Yan) wrote:
> I'm a new comer in FreeBSD, i have just installed a FreeBSD system on a
> server, my laptop is on OpenSUSE with alacritty terminal.
> unfortunatly i dont find a way to install the alacritty terminfo on my
> FreeBSD server.

Does it implement something specific that is not covered
by standard terminal capabilities? What does

	# echo $TERM

report?

> I tryed to use infotocap :
>
> infotocap alacritty.info >> /usr/share/misc/termcap
> mk_cap /usr/share/misc/termcap
>
> Then a logout and log in again but i get this error:
>
> # visudo
> vi: No terminal database found

This looks like you accidentally destroyed the termcap
database...

> Can you help me to fix this problem ?

FreeBSD uses termcap (from /usr/share/misc symlinked to
/etc) and termcap.db (in /usr/share/misc). First check
that those are present. There's also /etc/termcap.small.

In order to rebuild the termcap database after a change,
use the cap_mkdb program; see "man cap_mkdb" for usage,
but something like this should work:

	# cd /usr/share/misc
	# cap_mkdb -f termcap.db termcap

Also check "man 5 termcap" for details.