Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:46:31 +0930
From:      Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   LPT Handbook/LINT/dmesg conflicts

About time I had another attempt to get printing going on my machine, so ..
RTFM ...

BUT ...

HANDBOOK
Edit your kernel configuration file. Look for or add an lpt0 entry.
If you want interrupt-driven mode, add the irq specifier:
    device lpt0 at isa? port? tty irq N vector lptintr

LINT
device lpt  (no other mention of lpt or lptN)
GENERIC
device          lpt             # Printer (ditto)

DMESG (dmesg | grep lpt0 )
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

They can't ALL be right - or can they?

lptest > /dev/lpt0 worked just fine, so it looks to me like I should ignore
the Handbook - is it out of date?

--
Regards,
Brian