Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 16:27:04 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quantifying entropy

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0007221011110.27690-100000@green.dyndns.org>, Brian F
undakowski Feldman writes:

>> Another source of noise could be via the RF tuner in a video capture
>> baord.  You could get plenty 'o noise on both the audio output as
>> well as the noisy video fields when tuned to an unused channel.
>
>Remember that this approach is easily subverted.  An attacker can
>compromise your entropy by detecting what frequency you are tuned to
>and attack that frequency with predictable data.  A protection to
>this would be a good implementation of a spread-spectrum and
>spectrum-hopping RF tuner, but then you're relying on its PRNG for
>the data, really, and if it were that good you'd want to use it anyway ;)

Not to be attacking Brian in particular, but I am getting pretty
damn tired of seing any suggestion put forth in this thread getting
shot down from black helicopters by Elvis.

Yes, of course I could simulate the local quardrant of the galaxy
at a quantummechanical level and predict everything, but is it
really realistic ?

The point here is not about making random bits which cannot possibly
be compromised.  People who need that know how to get that.

This is about making the best *realisticly possible* random
numbers for FreeBSD (note the emphasis).

I can only applaud and congratulate MarkM on what he has managed
to do so far in the face of an infinite army of bikeshed building
arm-chair generals.

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe