Date:      Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:30:08 -0600
From:      Eric Kjeldergaard <kjelderg@gmail.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mucking with other drive

> PC bioses only let you boot off of drive C.  If you install this
> other drive as drive D then during the installation FreeBSD is going
> to have to write a boot loader onto C so that when the PC boots
> it will load the boot loader, which will then load the FreeBSD system
> off drive D.

This is not a limitation of PC BIOSen in general.  As a for-instance,
I have a PC that will let me boot off of any of the 8 ide hard disks
that it has attached to its mobo.  Many newish PC moboen that I've
looked at have similar/the same setup where you can choose HDD-0,
HDD-1... on to HDD-N to boot from.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.