Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 06:31:13 -0500
From:      "Michael P. Deslippe" <bgy2452@lists.dcro.dla.mil>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, Troy Smith <tdsmith@topeka.cjnetworks.com>
Subject:   Re: web (and distribution!) update needed

> Date:          Wed, 15 Jan 1997 22:56:00 -0600 (CST)
> From:          Troy Smith <tdsmith@topeka.cjnetworks.com>
> To:            freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
> Subject:       web (and distribution!) update needed

> Sorry to have to tell you this, but the Feds have changed the export
> rules again Re: encryption.  Basically, nobody in the US can export jack
> unless they provide a back door for the feds.  You probably are already
> aware of this, but this passage from the web page indicates not:

To what timeframe do you refer when you say "changed the export
rules" - the Clipper Chip laws failed the legal review and were never
implemented.  Did something happen subsequent to that to change the
law?  Forcing a "back door" remains unconstitutional as far as I
know.  Please provide a reference.

---Mike