Date:      Sun, 05 Nov 2006 13:52:24 -0800
From:      Simon Gao <gao@schrodinger.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cleanly remove a package

Hi,

I have a question hope someone can help.

When upgrading a package say vsftpd, I used port install. After newer
version is installed, I have both newer and older versions being listed
if run pkg_info. The newer version works fine.

However, I can not run "make deinstall" after installing the newer
version because after port tree being updated, there is no make file for
older version. Plus I can't run "make deinstall" on a live machine until
newer package installed.

Any help is appreciated.

Simon